What To Do About Rats On Your Arlington Property
December 15, 2021
Arlington, Texas, is right smack dab in the middle of Dallas and Fort Worth. It is host to some famous sites, including Six Flags Over Texas, Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, AT&T Stadium, and the International Bowling Museum and Hall of Fame. Some rats in the Arlington area would agree that it is a spectacular city in which to reside. These rodents may not be “hall of fame material,” but they have certainly made a name for themselves.
What Rats In Arlington Look Like?
Most people don’t give rats a second thought; many believe they are a pest from the past. Lest residents get too comfortable, there are rats around Arlington that visit properties. If they run out of needed resources, they are bound to be lured inside your property to satisfy their various needs.
Two common rats in Arlington and their descriptions are as follows:
- Norway rats: These big rats are the “chunky” version of local rats; their four legs support a hefty body. Their hair is typically bristly and brown (with black hairs intermingled); they usually have an off-white (sometimes yellowish) or gray underbelly. Their tails are noticeably shorter than their head/body combined; all together they measure between 7 to 9½ inches. These big rats tend to have small ears and eyes, and their noses are blunt.
- Roof rats: These rats are sleek, thin, and streamlined with soft, smooth hair. Their coloring is typically brown with black spots intermixed; their underbellies are often gray, black, or white. Smaller than Norway rats, they measure (with their tail) about 16 inches. Roof rats tend to have large ears and eyes and pointed noses.
The Problems Rats Can Cause On Arlington Properties
Problems associated with Norway rats and roof rats fall within two categories: health and damages. Both have their own “quirks” but cause similar issues.
Two problems caused by rats in Arlington include:
- Health: Rats are known to spread disease. Some diseases caused by rats include leptospirosis, rat-bite fever, tularemia, and salmonellosis. They contaminate food/food surfaces, ultimately making people extremely sick. Rodents also transport parasite pests like ticks, mites, lice, and fleas. Inhaled dust from dried feces can cause allergies and asthma attacks.
- Damages: Rats chew through just about anything, including lead pipes and plastics. They can ruin wood around your property, cloth, paper, insulation, and even electrical wires. They contaminate food products and love to nest in stored items.
How To Safely Get Rid Of Rats On Your Arlington Properties
The only way to be sure you remove rats in Arlington safely from your property is by using the pest professionals at All Seasons Pest Control. We are a full-service pest control company that offers both inside and outside pest control solutions. All Seasons Pest Control offers one-time treatments or regular maintenance programs to fight pesky invaders. Call All Seasons Pest Control today to keep rats away– your satisfaction is guaranteed!
Essential Rat Prevention Tips For Arlington Properties
Talk about a “double-whammy,” roof rats like to shelter in the upper parts of properties, and Norway rats like the lower half (sewer, basement, and ground levels). When invasions come from all directions, property owners are wise to set up some defenses that will keep rats away from their property.
Six ways to prevent rats include:
- Seal cracks, crevices, holes, or gaps with silicone-based caulking.
- Fix leaks and use a dehumidifier in high moisture areas.
- Ventilate crawl spaces, attics, and basements.
- Trim shrubs/tree branches so they don’t overhang the house.
- Remove yard wood debris; keep firewood off ground and store 20 feet away from your property.
- Keep properties clean, tidy, and clutter-free.