What are silverfish?
Silverfish are nuisance pests that are often found invading homes. These occasional invaders have teardrop-shaped bodies and three bristle-like appendages that extend from their hind-ends. These pests are wingless, but are able to move quickly using a wriggling, fish-like motion, hence their name. Silverfish grow to be about 3/4 of an inch in length and have antennae that are as long as their bodies. These pests have brown bodies that are covered in silvery-metallic scales which give them a unique, shimmery appearance.
Are silverfish dangerous?
Silverfish pose no threats to people or pets, but that doesn’t mean you should welcome them into your home. When they get inside, silverfish will infest and contaminate pantry items including cereal, dry pasta, flour, and pet food. In addition, they also have the potential to damage personal items such as books, photos, upholstered furniture, and more.
Where are silverfish commonly found?
Outside, silverfish live in damp, dark areas, such as in mulch, under landscaping ties, in and around fallen trees, inside wood piles, and under rocks. When living inside, silverfish live in areas of high humidity. They can be found in basements, laundry rooms, crawl spaces, under sinks, and in other areas with high moisture levels.
How do I get rid of silverfish?
To eliminate the silverfish found inside your home, it is best to partner with a pest control professional like the experts at Kanga Pest Control. When you partner with us, our dedicated experts will provide the services needed to locate and completely eliminate the silverfish that are infesting your home.
Kanga is committed to using the best products on the market to get rid of silverfish and other household pests, preventing their return through our guaranteed Quarterly Perimeter Service. To learn more about eliminating silverfish from your Woodburn, Oregon home, contact us at Kanga Pest Control!
Why do I have a silverfish problem?
Outside, silverfish are found living in damp, dark, quiet areas. However, if the weather becomes too hot and dry, they will make their way inside to take up residence in areas of homes that mimic their outdoor environment. They can also be accidentally transported inside in the packages, boxes, potted plants, used furniture, or rugs they are hiding in.
How can I prevent silverfish in the future?
Keeping silverfish out of your Oregon home is a difficult task, but there are some things you can do to help prevent problems with them.
To safeguard your home against silverfish, take the following steps:
- Wipe out sinks and tubs after using them to prevent water build-up
- Repair leaky pipes or fixtures inside your home to eliminate excess moisture
- Caulk any cracks or crevices in your home's foundation that could function as entry points
- Place weather stripping around all your exterior doors and windows
- Make sure that your crawl spaces are properly ventilated
- Reduce humidity levels inside your home through the use of dehumidifiers, air-conditioners, and ventilated fans
- Seal openings found around pipes, wires, and other utilities entering your home through its exterior walls
- Inspect packages, potted plants, and other containers for silverfish before bringing them into your home
To learn more about our professional home pest control services and how they can keep silverfish out of your home, give us a call today!